Young Reporters for the Environment (YRE) is a network of passionate young people educating for sustainable development by producing creative and engaging environmental journalism. Coordinated by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE), YRE is in more than 30 countries worldwide and growing! Northern Ireland is proudly one of these countries thanks to the excellent participation of our students and teachers.
Young reporters, from 20 post-primary schools, will be asked to investigate an issue (litter or waste), propose solutions, report their findings in an article and inform others by sharing this through as many media outlets as possible.
To make it possible Eco-Schools NI would like to invite you to attend one of the two BBC School Report workshops that will take place in November (27th and 30th) at the Mid Ulster Council Offices (Magherafelt) and Island Arts Centre (Lisburn).
Young people aged 11-25 may enter the national and international competition in 3 article categories:
Deadline to submit your journalist reportage is 15th March 2019, and winners of the national competition will be announced at an award and beach clean event in April.
There will be prizes for each of the three categories, so don’t miss the chance to win one!
YRE prizes -£150 first place, £100 second place, £75 third place- in each of the three categories.
To become a Young Reporter for the Environment:
• Show your interest to the Eco-Schools NI team
• Attend one of our BBC School Report workshops in November
• Ensure that your entry is submitted before the national deadline 15th March
• Be accurate. Research any facts you include and make sure they are correct
• Make sure you credit any quotes to their original source
• Feel free to submit more than one type of submission and work individually or in groups
• Read thoroughly and follow the instructions Eco-Schools will provide to enter the competition.
Useful lesson plans are available from Eco-Schools NI website on our external resources page or directly on FEE website.
If you are interested in YRE 2018-2019 please contact Francesca.DiPalo@keepnorthernirelandbeautiful.org.